It is Epiphany, also called Twelfth Night, and there are no more days of Christmas.
I have spent a quiet day inside away from the cold, writing and watching my husband game.
Words written today: 1,343
Words written 2018: 7,877
Average words/day: 1,313
Current temperature with wind chill: –8 F (–22 C)
The first Monday of the week didn’t feel like Monday because it was a holiday. Wednesday was more of a Monday with everyone off to school. Then yesterday, kids home again, making me feel like today was Monday yet again. At least I got things done, starting with lugging the tree out to be picked up with the trash.
The other thing I accomplished was finishing the draft of a short story. Not bad for the first week of the year.
Words written today: 2,224
Words written this year: 6,534
Average words/day: 1,307
Ice bubble photo by Aaron Burden on Unsplash
Where we are, we usually miss the brunt of winter storms. This means that although we’ve had temperatures into the single digits this week (Fahrenheit) and high winds today, we didn’t get half a foot or more of snow, and we’ve mostly stayed out of the negative temperature range. Still, the kids were home from school today (and they only went back yesterday!), with a two-hour delay in the morning.
I didn’t post a wrap-up of my 2017 here yet, so here goes:
Things I wrote, polished, and/or released
- Treachery of Doubt (book 2 of Bodyguard of Lies)
- Ghost Garages (book 1 of Boston Technowitch)
- Siren Circle (book 2 of Boston Technowitch)
- Dreamwalker (tie-in novella for Boston Technowitch, only available to newsletter subscribers)
- Troll Tunnels (book 3 of Boston Technowitch, currently in edits)
Additional things I did
- Wrote most of a second tie-in novella for Boston Technowitch
- Worked on a couple of short stories (neither of which is ready for submission yet)
- Completed a month of ink drawings for Inktober
- Participated in programming for Boskone and for the Nebula Conference
- Served part of the year as a Director-at-Large and the remainder of the year as Vice President for SFWA
- Went to a writing meet-up in Manhattan
- Went on a lovely vacation where I got to visit my mom, my younger brother and his other half, and my in-laws
- Spent lots of family time
- Got the downstairs family room painted and (with the rest of the family) organized and looking comfortable
Words written 2017: 253,721
Average words/day written 2017: 695
Best month for writing: November
Worst month for writing: June
As for 2018, I’m planning to do more of the same — more in every sense: more writing, more books released, more reading, more activity in the organizations I’m part of. I’m doing okay so far, though last year’s January was pretty good, too. It’s the long term where we see how things go.
Words written today: 1,130
Words written this month: 4,310